Seoul Ads

Monday 12 March 2012

Girls' Generation's Yuri accused of racism by foreign netizens

A two-year-old video of Girls' Generation's Yuri has been belatedly making the rounds after it was used as basis of her being a disciplinarian. 

The problematic clip comes from KBS 2TV's "Invincible Youth," from the time when she participated as a regular member on the program. Back then she used exaggerated gestures and the English phrase "You die" to convey a foreigner.

As the K-Pop fever goes global and gains international awareness, this short clip has incited some outrage from overseas netizens who see it as racial discrimination. 

Local netizens left comments that conveyed their confusion, "I watched the video too, but I don't know what is the problem," "Why are people getting angry over this? I don't understand," "Why is such an old video becoming a problem now?" They also left comments like, "I didn't feel anything when I watched it" and "Even when I watched the actual broadcast, it didn't cross my mind that it was an imitation of black people. Do only black people use that phrase?"

Source: Newsen

0 comments:

Post a Comment

SeoulGroup

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts